Chicken Pot Pie with a Biscuit Top
- For the Tarragon Biscuits:
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus 3 tablespoons melted
- 1 pound button mushrooms stemmed and quartered
- 1 1/2 cups small-diced onion
- 3/4 cup small-diced carrot
- 3/4 cup small-diced celery
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups chicken stock or canned low-sodium chicken broth
- 8 ounces Yukon Gold Potatoes, scrubbed and diced
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen green peas
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
- 1 cup cake flour
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 5 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh tarragon leaves
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
Preparation time 30mins
Cooking time 31mins
Set a 12 inch cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat
In a large bowl, combine the chicken thighs with 1 teaspoon of the salt, ½ teaspoon of the pepper, and the olive oil. Place half the chicken in the pan and sear, stirring occasionally, until the chicken begins to brown, 3 to 4 minutes. Remove the chicken and set aside in a separate bowl while you cook the remaining chicken. Place that cooked chicken in a bowl as well.
Add the unmelted butter to the pan and, when melted, add the mushrooms and the remaining salt and pepper. Cook until the mushrooms are well caramelized, 3 to 4 minutes, then add the onion, carrot, celery, and garlic to cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly caramelized, 4 to 5 minutes. Add the flour and cook, stirring for 1 minute. Add the stock, browned chicken, potatoes, and thyme.
Preheat oven to 475 degrees
Bring the liquid to a boil, reduce the heat so that the sauce just simmers, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the chicken and potatoes are tender…about 35 minutes. Gently stir in the peas and then remove the pan from the heat. Place the biscuits on top of the chicken and gravy, with 8 biscuits around the edge of the pan and the remaining 4 biscuits in the center. Be sure the biscuits do not touch. Brush the tops of the biscuits with the melted butter and bake until the biscuits are golden brown and flaky..14 to 15 minutes. Allow the pot pie to cool briefly before serving.
For the Tarragon Biscuits:
Sift the all-purpose flour, cake flour, baking powder, baking soda, sugar, and salt into a large bowl
Using your fingers or a pastry cutter, work the cold butter into the flour until the pieces of butter are pea sized. Add the tarragon and buttermilk, and with your ands or a rubber spatula, stir until the milk and flour come together to form a dough
Sprinkle some of the extra all-purpose flour on a work surface and place the dough on top of the flour. Use your hands to press the dough into a ½ inch thick disk about 9 inches in diameter. Using a 2 inch round cutter dusted with flour, cut out 12 dough rounds. Be sure to press straight down when cutting the dough…a twisting motion will prevent the dough from rising.
Place the biscuits on top of the pot pie and bake as directed.