Split Pea Soup
- 16 oz. pk. split peas
- 2 10 1/2oz. cans chicken broth
- 2 c. water
- 1 pk. dried onion soup mix
- 1/1 /2c. baby carrots,rinsed and sliced
- 2 lg. vidalia onions,chopped
- 6 stalks celery,trimmed and diced
- 1 lg. or 2 sm. leeks,stripped of their outer leaves,rinsed and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic,minced
- 2 Tbsp. Grey Poupon Dijon mustard
- 3 or 4 Tbsp. tamari or say sauce
- 2 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- Salt and pepper
In a lg. pot combine peas,broth,water and soup mix. Stir well.
Add carrots,onions,celery,leeks,garlic,mustard,tamari and balsamic vinegar. If mixture seems a little to thick add a little more water.
Bring to a full boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook for about 2 hours stirring and skimming the surface occasionally.
Remove from heat and let sit for an hour at room temerature.
Puree in several batches in a food processor or blender until smooth.
Add salt and pepper to taste.