Wheat Berry Salad With Mustard Greens, Scallions, Feta and Lemon
Published January 3, 2012
PER SERVING: calories: 353 (48% from fat); protein: 10.7 grams; total fat: 19 grams; saturated fat: 5.2 grams; cholesterol: 18.9 mg; sodium: 250mg; carbohydrate: 39.1 grams; dietary fiber: 7.6 grams
- 1cup1 cup red wheat berries
- 1cup1 cup white wheat berries
- 1bunch1 bunch mustard greens such as golden frill, mizuna or green mustard, washed, stemmed and thinly sliced (about 5 cups)
- 1bunch1 bunch scallions, white and green parts thinly sliced (about 1/2 cup)
- 6ounces6 ounces crumbled feta cheese
- 1/2cup1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Finely grated zest of 2 lemons
- 1/4cup1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
Adapted from oregonlive.com
Fill two 4-quart pots with salted water. Place the red wheat berries in one pot and the white wheat berries in the second, making sure there is enough water in each pot to cover the wheat berries by at least 2 inches. Bring the water to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer uncovered until the wheat berries are tender, about 40 minutes. (The red wheat berries may take slightly longer than the white wheat berries to cook.)
Drain the wheat berries in a large colander and transfer them to a bowl large enough to hold them and the remaining ingredients.
Add the mustard greens, scallions, feta, olive oil, lemon zest and lemon juice to the bowl and stir gently to combine. Let the salad rest at room temperature for 30 minutes, allowing the flavors to meld and the ingredients to reach room temperature before serving.