Macroni & Cheese (the healthy way)
Need to cook more healthy for my husband and found this in a diabetic/heart cookbook.
It is so easy and so good, you won't miss the unhealthy versions.
- 1 cup dried elbow or small shells
- 1/2 cup egg beater
- 1 cup fat free evaporated milk
- 1 cup small curd low fat cottage cheese
- 1/4 cup fat free shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 tbsp parmesan cheese
- dash of salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp paprika
- dash of nutmeg
- dash of cayenne pepper
- 2 tsp dried chives
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup bread crumbs
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 70mins
1. Cook pasta in boiling salt water, till al dente, drain and set aside.
2. In a bowl mix all ingredients from egg beater thru dijon mustard, mixing well.
3. Add pasta to bowl and coat to cover well.
4. Spray a 2 quart baking dish.
5. Add pasta/cheese mixture into dish.
6. Top with bread crumbs, dab 1 tbsp butter sub on top.
7. Bake uncovered 1 hour.
8. Remove and let sit 5 minutes before serving.