Spice-Rubbed Roast Chicken with Two Sauces
The choice of sauces to serve alongside includes smoky piri piri and Dominican wasakaka, made with onion, chiles and herbs.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon minced rosemary
- 1 tablespoon ground fennel seeds
- 1 tablespoon freshly ground pepper
- One 3 1/2-pound chicken, chilled
- Kosher salt
- Wasakaka Sauce and Piri Piri Sauce, for serving
In a bowl, whisk the oil, garlic, lemon zest and juice, rosemary, fennel seeds and pepper. Rub the mixture all over the chicken, inside and out. Let come to room temperature.
2. Preheat the oven to 400°. Twist the wings of the chicken behind the back and tie the legs together; set breast side up in a roasting pan. Season all over with salt. Roast for about 55 minutes, until the juices run clear when an inner thigh is pierced. Transfer to a carving board and let rest for 10 minutes. Cut the chicken into 8 pieces and serve with the Wasakaka and Piri Piri Sauces.
Recipe for Wasakaka sauce and Pri Pri Sauce in Food & Wine Cookbook