Summer Vegetable Ragout over Polenta Cakes
Courtesy of Veganista
- Vegan Polenta Cakes
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1-2 tbsp vegan margarine
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Summer Vegetable Ragout
- 1/8 cup grapeseed oil
- 1 onion, medium diced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 zucchini, medium dice
- 1 yellow squash, medium dice
- 2 small rosa bianca eggplant, medium dice
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- 1/4 cup kalamata olives, cut in 1/2
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 fresh plum tomatoes, diced
- 6 to 8 sprigs fresh basil
1) Bring vegetable broth to a slow simmer. Stir in cornmeal.
Cook over low heat for 15 minutes, stirring frequently&scraping the bottom to avoid burning. Cornmeal is done cooking when it is smooth&thick.
Stir in remaining ingredients before removing from heat.
Press into a lightly greased loaf pan and chill until firm for a thick polenta loaf
2) Heat oil in a saute pan. Saute onion, garlic, carrot, zucchini, yellow squash,&eggplant, until they begin to soften.
Stir in tomato paste, chopped fresh parsley, thyme, and let cook until flavors integrate, about 10 more minutes. Add olives and heat through. Season with salt&pepper, as needed.
Remove from heat and stir in fresh tomato. Let sit to rest.