Brown Sugar Cookies
- 1 1/2 sticks (6 ounces) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 1/4 cups dark brown sugar
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Adapted from leitesculinaria.com
1. To make the brown sugar cookies, preheat the oven to 375˚F (190°C).
2. Beat the butter and sugar in the bowl of a mixer fitted with a paddle until smooth and creamy. Add the egg and beat well. Scrape down the sides of the bowl. Place the flour, baking soda, salt, and spices in a separate bowl and mix well. Add to the butter mixture and beat until everything is incorporated. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and beat again.
3. Drop large teaspoonfuls of the dough onto an unbuttered baking sheet about 2 inches apart. Bake until the edges of the cookies are just brown, 8 to 12 minutes. For crisp cookies, let them cool on the sheet; for soft, chewy cookies, transfer them to a wire rack to cool. Let the baking sheet cool completely between batches and repeat with the remaining dough.