Brussels Sprouts Au Gratin
- 1/4 cup fine, dry breadcrumbs
- 1 T grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 lbs fresh brussels sprouts (or substitute 3 10-oz packages frozen sprouts. Prepare according to package directions before assembling the casserole.)
- 2 T butter or margarine
- 2 T all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 cup (4 oz) shredded Gruyere or Swiss cheese
- 1 T white wine worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 t salt
- 1/4 t pepper
- 1/4 t paprika
Combine breadcrumbs and Parmesan cheese; set aside. Wash brussels sprouts; remove discolored leaves. Trim ends, and cut in half lengthwise. Cook sprouts in boiling water to cover 12 minutes or until barely tender. Drain and place in a lightly greased 1 1/2 quart gratin dish or an 11" x 7" baking dish. Set aside.
Melt butter in a saucepan over low heat; add flour, stirring until smooth. Cook, stirring constantly, 1 minute. Gradually add milk; cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thickened and bubbly.
Add Gruyere cheese and next 3 ingredients stirring until cheese melts.
Spoon sauce over brussels sprouts; sprinkle with breadcrumbs mixture and paprika. Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees for 20 minutes or until browned and bubbly. Yield: 8 servings.