York-A-Like Peppermint Patties
- 1/3 cup corn syrup
- 1/4 cup vegan margarine spread, softened (I use Earth Balance whipped)
- 1-1/2 teaspoons peppermint oil or extract, or to taste (I use more)
- 4-3/4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 (12-ounce) bag chocolate or carob chips
1. In a bowl, combine syrup, margarine, and peppermint; whip with an electric mixer. Add sugar by the cup while mixing. You should end up with a crumbly, sort of dry bowl of stuff.
2. Pick up a small handful of stuff and start to press it into shape. The size you want is up to you. They are so rich that smaller is better. This process is a lengthy one. It's easiest to use a cookie sheet covered with wax paper/plastic wrap to place them on.
3. Melt the chips until creamy and stir-able. Take it off the heat so it doesn't burn.
4. Coat the patties with the chocolate. This is the messy part and I haven't found an alternative way without special equipment. None the less a fun awesome recipe to do alone or with family.
Makes: A TON, Preparation time: 1 to 2 hours