- 8 tablespoons softened butter
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1 large egg
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- OPTIONAL INGREDIENTS FOR ICING
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/3 cup softened butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons milk or 2 tablespoons cream
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1. Preheat oven to 350°.
2. Cream together butter and sugar, then beat in molasses and egg.
3. Mix all dry ingredients together in a separate bowl.
4. Add the dry ingredients to the creamed butter/sugar mixture and mix until well blended.
5. Cover and refrigerate for one hour.
6. Roll out dough on a lightly floured surface to about a 3/4-inch thickness.
7. Cut into 3-inch squares, or use your choice of cookie cutters to cut out shapes.
8. Place on cookie sheets and bake 7-8 minutes.
9. Transfer to a rack to cool completely.
10. If you plan to ice your gingerbread, prepare the icing now.
11. Mix all icing ingredients together in a small bowl until smooth.