- 2 pounds skin on, bone-in chicken breasts cut into large chunks
- Kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 apples (1 red, 1 green), cored and cut into wedges
- 8 medium shallots, quartered lengthwise
- 1/4 cup fresh sage, torn
- 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
Preparation time 30mins
Cooking time 60mins
1. Pat the chicken dry and season all over with salt. Heat a large heavy skillet over high heat and add the olive oil. When the oil is hot, add the chicken skin side down and cook, undisturbed, until the skin is browned and crisp, about 5 minutes.
2. Turn the chicken and add the apples, shallots and sage to the skillet. Reduce the heat to medium high and cook until the chicken is browned on the bottom, 4 to 5 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a plate and continue to cook the apples and shallots, stirring until golden brown, about 2 more minutes.
3. Meanwhile, make the glaze: Mix the chicken broth, maple syrup, vinegar and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a small bowl. Add the mixture to the skillet with the apples and shallots and boil until reduced by about three-quarters, 2 or 3 minutes. Return the chicken to the skillet, turning to coat, until cooked through, about 2 more minutes.