Raw Chocolate Hazelnut Breakfast Parfait
- SUGGESTED TOPPINGS:
- 1 cup raw buckwheat groats, soaked
- 1 medium/large banana, peeled and roughly chopped
- scant 1/2 cup almond milk
- 2 tablespoons raw cacao powder or unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1-2 tablespoons liquid sweetener, to taste (I used 1.5 tbsp maple syrup)
- very small pinch of sea salt
- Chopped fresh strawberries and sliced banana
- Chopped toasted hazelnuts
- Cacao nibs or mini chocolate chips
- Flaked or shredded shredded toasted coconut
- Strawberry Chia Seed Jam (from The Oh She Glows Cookbook)
- Homemade Vegan Nutella (see note for recipe link)
Adapted from ohsheglows.com
Place buckwheat groats into a bowl and cover with water. Soak overnight or for at least 2 hours. Rinse and drain the buckwheat thoroughly to remove the gelatinous coating that forms while soaking. Set aside 1/4 cup of buckwheat groats so you can stir it into the porridge later on (this gives it a slightly crunchy texture).
Place all the porridge ingredients (except for the reserved 1/4 cup groats) into a food processor (or blender) and process (blend) the mixture until combined. I don't process it super smooth as I like a bit of texture to it, but it's your call.
Adjust sweetness to taste. Stir in the reserved 1/4 cup of groats. You can chill it for a couple hours (or overnight) or serve immediately.
In a glass, layer the porridge along with your desired toppings. Or simply serve it up in a bowl.
To make the Homemade Vegan Nutella, see this post.
To make this recipe nut-free, swap a nut-free milk for the almond milk (such as coconut milk). Omit the hazelnuts.
To save time in the morning, make this the night before. Layer it up in a jar and screw on the lid for a portable breakfast!