- 1 1/4 cup ground hazelnuts
- 6 eggs, separated
- 3/4 cup / 175 ml sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon / 2 ml vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon / 1 ml almond extract
- 1 teaspoon / 5 ml baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon / 1 ml salt
- 11/2 cup / 375 ml whipping cream, whipped
- 1/4 cup / 50 ml sifted icing sugar (to be sifted on damp towel)
- Nutella Spread
- 1 .
1. Grease 10x15” / 25x33cm cookie sheet (lined with parchment paper).
2. Heat oven to 350°F / 175°C degrees.
3. Beat sugar and egg yolks at high speed for 5 minutes.
4. Add extracts. Beat one more minute.
5. In separate bowl, combine ground hazelnuts, baking powder, and salt. Mix well with fork.
6. Combine hazelnut mixture and sugar mixture. Beat for 2 more minutes.
7. Beat egg whites until stiff, but not dry.
8. Fold egg whites into cake batter by hand.
9. Spread batter in prepared pan.
10. Bake for 20-25 minutes.
11. Flip cake onto damp cold tea towel, dusted with icing sugar to prevent the cake from sticking.
12. Remove the parchment paper.
13. Roll up for 15-30 minutes. Let cool.
14. Unroll and trim off crusty edges if necessary.
15. Spread with a layer of Nutella hazelnut spread.
16. Then add a layer of stiffly whipped cream. If the whip cream is too soft, it is difficult to roll up.
17. Roll up the cake once more and garnish it with more whipped cream and hazelnuts.
18. Freeze the hazelnut roll on a cookie sheet for several hours until hard; then wrap with saran wrap and seal in a plastic bag.
Read it on Global News: Global BC | Hazelnut Roll