Spaghetti Sauce - Bolognese
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter $
- 1 small onion, chopped $
- 1 celery rib, finely chopped $
- 1 carrot, finely chopped $
- 2 pounds lean ground beef $
- Salt and pepper $
- Pinch of nutmeg
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup white wine $
- 2 28-oz. cans crushed tomatoes $
Preparation time 30mins
Cooking time 38mins
1. Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, celery and carrot and sauté until softened, about 5 minutes. Turn heat to high, add beef and cook, breaking up with a spoon, until no longer pink, about 5 minutes. Season with salt, pepper and nutmeg.
2. Pour in milk and wine and bring to a boil. Lower heat and cook at a lively simmer until most of liquid has evaporated, about 15 minutes.
3. Transfer mixture to slow cooker, stir in tomatoes, cover and cook on low for 8 hours. Remove top, stir and cook until sauce is slightly thickened, about 30 minutes longer.