Short Rib Soup with Mushrooms and Pearl Couscous PRINT
I made a batch of Red Wine Braised Shortribs, and I saved the vegetables that were used in the braising liquid. With the leftovers, I made this delicious soup.
I thank Chef Hubert Keller for sharing this recipe on his television show. It’s delicious!
To find the Red Wine Braised Short Rib Recipe click here: http://www.keyingredient.com/recipes/6818032/red-wine-braised-short-ribs/
|1||onion, diced small|
|2||carrots, diced small|
|1||stalk of celery, diced small|
|1||leek, white part only, cut into 2‐inch sections|
|1||sprig fresh parsley|
|1||sprig fresh thyme|
|1||fresh bay leaf|
|1||2‐inch piece celery|
|1||cup red wine, Pinot Noir|
|3||cups beef stock|
|1||cup braising liquid (from Short Rib Recipe)|
|½||cup shiitake mushrooms, sliced|
|1||cup pearl couscous|
|2||tablespoon olive oil|
|2||tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and diced|
|1||cup short rib meat (from Short Rib Recipe), diced|
|¼||cup chives, sliced into ½ inch pieces|
To make pearl couscous:
1. In small saucepot, combine 1 ¼ cup water, olive oil, and salt, and bring to a
boil. Add couscous, cover, and simmer 10 minutes, or until liquid has been
absorbed. Allow couscous to sit covered until cooked al dente.
To make soup:
2. Slice bacon into 1” strips and cook over medium high heat in a 5‐quart soup
pot or saucepan until fat is released and bacon is partially cooked.
3. Add diced onion, carrot and celery, and sauté with bacon for 3 to 4 minutes
or until onions are translucent.
4. Make a bouquet garni by wrapping the parsley, thyme, bay leaf, and 2‐ inch
celery piece into a 2‐inch piece of leek. Alternatively, wrap in cheesecloth.
Tie tightly with twine.
5. Add red wine, beef stock, braising liquid and bouquet garni to vegetables and
simmer 20 minutes.
6. Add sliced mushrooms and simmer an additional 20 minutes.
7. Remove the bouquet garni and add the diced tomatoes, short rib meat,
cooked couscous, and chives. Simmer until heated through, and serve.