- 3 pounds pumpkin or hubbard squash
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh rosemary leaves
- coarse (kosher) salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 4 ounces Fontina val d’aosta cheese, grated
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 tablespoons freshly grated
1. preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
2. peel the pumpkin and remove the seeds. cut the pumpkin
into 2-inch cubes and place them in a mixing bowl.
3. add the oil, rosemary, and salt and pepper to taste, and toss
to mix well.
4. place the pumpkin pieces in a roasting pan, and roast in the
oven until golden brown and tender, turning them occasionally,
about 45 minutes.
5. Meanwhile, melt the butter in a saucepan over low heat, and
whisk in the flour until well blended. slowly add the milk,
whisking until the mixture thickens slightly. Then add the
nutmeg, Fontina, and 2 tablespoons of the parmigiano, and
stir to combine. season with salt and pepper
6. Remove the pan from the heat and cover the pan tightly with
plastic wrap. keep in a warm place until ready to serve.
7. Remove the roasting pan from the oven and allow the pumpkin
to rest in the pan for 5 minutes.
8. To serve, spoon the fonduta onto a warmed platter, and then
arrange the pumpkin pieces over it. grind fresh pepper over the
pumpkin, sprinkle with the remaining 2 tablespoons parmigiano,