Fennel, Sausage, and Caramelized Apple Stuffing
from Cooking Light Magazine
- 12 ounces sourdough bread, cut into 1/2-inch cubes Cooking spray
- 9 ounces Italian sausage
- 5 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 4 cups chopped onion
- 1 1/4 cups sliced fennel bulb
- 1 1/4 cups chopped carrot
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh sage
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds, crushed
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 3 cups chopped Golden Delicious apple
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 1/2 cups fat-free, lower-sodium chicken broth
- 2 large eggs
Cooking time 48mins
1. Preheat oven to 400°.
2. Arrange bread cubes in a single layer on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Bake at 400° for 16 minutes or until golden, stirring after 8 minutes. Place in a large bowl.
3. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Remove casings from sausage. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add sausage to pan; cook 8 minutes or until browned, stirring to crumble. Add sausage to bread.
4. Return pan to medium-high heat. Add 3 teaspoons oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add onion and next 5 ingredients (through garlic). Add 1/4 teaspoon pepper; sauté 8 minutes or until vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally. Add vegetables to sausage mixture.
5. Return pan to medium-high heat. Add remaining 2 teaspoons oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add apple and sugar; sauté 5 minutes or until apple caramelizes, stirring occasionally. Add to the sausage mixture.
6. Combine broth and eggs in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk. Add broth mixture and remaining 1/4 teaspoon pepper to sausage mixture; toss well to combine.
7. Spoon sausage mixture into a 13 x 9-inch glass or ceramic baking dish coated with cooking spray. Cover with foil. Bake at 400° for 20 minutes. Uncover dish; bake at 400° for 20 minutes or until browned and crisp.
You'll also love
- Hot Artichoke-Spinach Dip 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Spicy Garlic Shrimp 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Apple Pound Cake 5/5 (1 Votes)
- SMOKED PAPRIKA LAMB CHOPS WITH... 5/5 (1 Votes)
- TURKEY PHO 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Sausage and Herb Stuffing 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Pasta with Sausage and Peppers 5/5 (1 Votes)
- (Juice) Spinach-Fennel-Cucumber... 5/5 (1 Votes)