Slow Cooker Beef and Barley
- 1 3/4 lbs. boneless beef chuck (in one piece)
- 1 cup pearl barley
- 4 stalks celery, quartered
- 6 medium carrots, quartered
- 2 medium leeks, sliced (white and light green parts only)
- 1 sprig thyme
- 4 cups low-sodium beef broth
- 1 Tbl. soy sauce
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
Combine the beef, barley, celery, carrots, leeks, thyme, beef broth and soy sauce in a slow cooker. Add 1 cup water, 1 tsp. salt and 1/4 tsp. pepper. Cover and cook on low, undisturbed for 8 hours.
Uncover and skim off any excess fat. Transfer the beef to a cutting board, let cool slightly and slice or shred by hand into bite size pieces. Thin the vegetable barley mixture in the slow cooker with some water, if desired. Divide among shallow bowls and top with the beef.