Shrimp Rolls with Spicy Vietnamese Dressing
- 1 1/2 lb medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 tbsp minced ginger
- 1/3 cup rice wine or sake
- 1 1/2 tsp toasted sesame oil
- Juice from 6 limes (about 1 cup)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup Splenda Granulated
- 1/3 cup light soy sauce
- 1 1/2 tbsp minced fresh garlic
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 2 heads Boston, or butterhead, lettuce
- 2 cups fresh basil leaves
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and finely grated (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1/3 lb rice stick noodles, softened in boiling water and drained thoroughly
In a bowl, toss shrimp with ginger, wine, and oil. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate 20 minutes.
Mix lime juice, sugar, Splenda, soy sauce, garlic, and pepper flakes in a bowl; set aside. Core lettuce and separate leaves; rinse and dry them. Cook shrimp with its marinade in a medium pan or wok over medium-high heat, turning shrimp until opaque, 2 or 3 minutes.
To make wraps:
Place 3 shrimp inside each lettuce leaf along with 2 or 3 basil leaves, 1 tbsp carrots and a small handful of noodles and roll up. Divide dressing among 4 small dishes for dipping.