- when onions are clear and soft add:
- sauce: *** 1 eggplants,1 lb moz cheese
- 3 T olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 T minced garlic
- 1 cup chopped green pepper
- 2 t basil
- 1 t oregano
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 t salt
- 1 16 oz can tomato pureee
- 1 6 oz can tomato paste
- 2 T red wine
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes
- 1/4 t black pepper
- cover and simmer 45 minutes, stir occasionally then add:
- 1/2 cup fresh chopped parsley, salt and pepper
- sauteed chopped mushrooms (1/2 lb)
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
1. make sauce ahead of time
2. prepare eggplant: slice 1/2 inch thick and dip in flour and egg then top with bread crumbs.
3. bake on lightly oiled tray in 350 degree oven for 20-25 minutes.
4. grate 1 lb mozzarella cheese (or slice it thinly) to make a cup of it. in oiled pans layer eggplant with sauce and cheeses.
5. bake for 30-40 minutes- covered until last 15 minutes at 375 degrees. Let it sit for 10 minutes before serving.