Apple Pie with Cranberries
- 1 double crust
- 1 1/2 cups (5 1/4 ounces) chopped cranberries
- 1 cup (7 ounces) sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange peel (zest)
- 1 tablespoon Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1/3 cup (2 5/8 ounces) orange or cranberry juice
- 6 tablespoons (1 1/2 ounces) chopped pecans
- 3 firm, tart apples sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon butter
Preheat your oven to 425°F.
In a medium saucepan, cook the cranberries with the sugar, orange peel, flour and juice until the mixture is slightly thickened.
Sprinkle half the pecans on the bottom crust of an unbaked pie shell. Make 2 layers of apples on top of the nuts. Sprinkle these with cinnamon and dot with butter. Pour the cranberry mixture over the apples and sprinkle on the remaining pecans. Cover with a latticed top.
Bake for 30 minutes or until the crust is golden and the berries are bubbly. Remove from the oven and allow to cool before slicing. Yield: 1 pie, 8 slices