Crock Pot Stuffed Pepper Stew
This was a nice change from traditional stuffed peppers. It will definitely be showing itself at the table often through these colder months.
- 15 ounce can of tomato soup
- 10.75 ounce can of French onion soup
- 14.5 ounce can of stewed tomatoes
- 14.5 ounce can of diced tomatoes
- 1 pound of turkey sausage, browned and drained
- 2 green bell peppers, seeded and diced
- 2 Tablespoons + 2 teaspoons of dried chopped onion (or half of a fresh onion)
- 2 Tablespoons of dried sliced garlic (or one clove)
- 2 teaspoons of seasoned salt
- 3 - 4 cups of chicken broth (as needed)
- 3 cups of cooked rice (I used brown rice)
Adapted from crockpotrecipeexchange.blogspot.com
In a 5 - 6 quart crock pot, add the tomato soup, French onion soup, both cans of tomatoes, onion, garlic aqnd seasoned salt. Stir to incorporate.
Add the cooked sausage and the bell pepper. Stir to incorporate.
Add enough of the chicken broth to completely cover the ingredients. Put the lid on and cook on low for 4 hours or high for 2 1/2 - 3.
At the end of the cook time, add the rice. Stir it to incorporate it completely.
Let this cook for an additional 3 - 4 hours on low or 2 hours on high.
If you wish for this dish to be thinner like soup consistency, add more chicken broth when adding the rice.
If you'd like this to be a thicker consistency you can take the lid off and turn to high the last 30 - 45 minutes of cook time.
We like the thicker consistency, so I opted to take the lid off the last few minutes of cook time.