2 Bite Doughnuts
- 3 cups (750 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) baking powder
- 3/4 tsp (4 mL) salt
- 1/2 tsp(2 mL) grated nutmeg
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) 10% cream
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) whipping cream
- 1 tsp (5 mL) vanilla
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup (250 mL) granulated sugar
- Oil for deep-frying (canola, safflower or vegetable)
- 1 cup (250 mL) icing sugar
PreparationIn bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, salt and nutmeg. In small bowl, whisk 10% and whipping creams and vanilla. Set aside.
In large bowl, beat eggs with sugar until pale; gradually beat in cream mixture. Stir in flour mixture to make soft sticky dough. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
Spray mini (1 tbsp/15 mL) ice-cream scoop or 1 tbsp (15 mL) measure with nonstick spray or grease. In deep fryer, wok or deep saucepan, heat 2 inches (5 cm) oil until deep-fryer thermometer reads 350°F (180°C). Drop batter by 1 tbsp (15 mL) into oil, 6 at a time; deep-fry, turning once, until golden and puffed, 3 to 4 minutes. With slotted spoon, transfer to paper towels to drain. Transfer to rack; let cool.
Topping: Toss doughnuts in sugar to coat. Makes about 50 pieces.