- 12 slices good-quality smoky bacon
- 3 tbsp. butter, plus more for griddle and eggs
- 2 crisp apples, such as gala or golden delicious, peeled and sliced
- 2 tbsp. finely chopped fresh thyme
- A pinch ground cinnamon
- A little freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 2 tbsp. brown sugar
- 1/4 cup calvados (optional)
- 1 cup dark amber maple syrup
- 2 cups multigrain or buckwheat pancake mix such as Highland Sugarworks Multigrain
- 5 eggs
- 1 3/4 cups 2% milk
1.Preheat the oven to 375°. Bake the bacon on a broiler pan until crisp, about 15 minutes.
2.Preheat a griddle over medium heat. In a large skillet, melt 3 tbsp. butter over medium-high heat until foaming. Add the apples, thyme, cinnamon, nutmeg and a little salt. Cook until softened, 4 to 5 minutes. Add the lemon juice and brown sugar, flip the apples and cook for 1 minute. Add the calvados, if using, and cook to reduce for 1 minute. Add the maple syrup and lower the heat to a simmer.
3.Combine the pancake mix, 1 egg and the milk. Butter the griddle and cook the pancakes in batches to make eight 4-inch cakes.
4.In a large skillet, fry the remaining 4 eggs in some melted butter to order.
5.Stack each plate with a pancake, 3 crisscrossed slices of bacon, a fried egg, a second pancake and the apples.