French onion grilled cheese
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 medium onions, sliced thinly (about 3 1/2 cups)
- 1/2 900 mL carton low-sodium beef broth
- 1 thyme sprig
- 1/4 cup dry sherry (optional)
- 4 tsp Dijon mustard
- 8 slices rye bread
- 4 slices gruyére or swiss cheese, about 120 g
1. Heat a large non-stick frying pan over high. Add 1 tsp oil, then onions, broth and thyme. Cook, uncovered, stirring often, until liquid is reduced, about 15 min. Add sherry and continue cooking until absorbed, about 5 more min. Remove thyme.
2. Spread Dijon on 4 slices of bread. Top each slice with about 1/3 cup onion mixture and 1 cheese slice. Top with remaining bread.
3. Wipe pan clean. Heat over medium. Brush pan with 1 tsp oil. Cook 2 sandwiches at a time, about 2 min per side. Repeat with remaining oil and sandwiches.
Keep grilled sandwiches warm on a foil-lined baking sheet in a 200F oven.