SLOW COOKER RUSTIC ITALIAN CHICKEN
Come home to this delicious slow cooked dinner made with chicken and vegetables that's served with pasta.
- 12 boneless skinless chicken thighs (about 2 lb)
- 2 large carrots, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 medium red bell pepper, chopped (1 cup)
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms (3 oz)
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper1can (28 oz) crushed tomatoes, undrained3
- 1/2 cups uncooked penne pasta (about 12 oz)Shredded Parmesan cheese, if desired Chopped fresh Italian (flat-leaf) parsley, if desired
Spray 3 1/2- to 4-quart slow cooker with cooking spray. Place chicken in slow cooker. Top with remaining ingredients except pasta, cheese and parsley.
Cover; cook on Low heat setting 6 to 8 hours. About 30 minutes before chicken is done, cook and drain pasta as directed on package.
Serve chicken with pasta. Garnish with cheese and parsley.
If you enjoy spicy food, add 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes with the other seasonings.
Chicken thighs are a great choice for slow cooking, as the dark meat stays moist and flavorful. Boneless skinless thighs are now readily available at most grocery stores. If you prefer, you can substitute 2 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts.
Try whole grain penne or another whole grain pasta shape for added nutrition. Or instead of pasta, serve this chicken with garlic mashed potatoes.