Green Bean Casserole with Crispy Shallots
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 6 medium shallots, sliced into rings (about 1 cup)
- 1 1/2 lbs thin fresh string beans, trimmed
- 1 lb button mushrooms, sliced
- 6 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp chopped fresh basil
- 2 cups 1% milk
- 3 Tbsp all purpose flour
- 1/3 cup plus 2 Tbsp freshly grated mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- cooking spray
1. Preheat oven to 375 F. Heat olive oil in a small skillet over medium-high heat until very hot but not smoking. Add 1/4 cup shallots and cook, stirring, until golden brown and crisp, about 2 mins. Transfer with a slotted spoon to paper towels to drain. Repeat with remaining shallots, cooking 1/4 cup at a time. Reserve the oil in skillet.
2. Place green beans in a steamer basket fitted over a pot of boiling water. Cover and steam until bright green and still crisp, about 4 mins.
3. Heat 1 Tbsp of reserved shallot oil in a large, deep nonstick skillet ovfer medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and cook, stirring occassionally, until mushroom liquid is evaporated and they begin to brown, about 12 mins. Add garlic and basil and cook, stirring, 1 minute. Transfer mushroom mixture to a bowl.
4. Whisk together milk and flour until flour is dissolved. Add mixture to skillet and, whisking constantly, bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium low, whisking occassionally, until thickened, 10 to 15 mins. Remove pan from heat and stir in green beans, mushroom mixture, 1/3 cup mozzarella cheese, parsley, nutmeg, 3/4 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp pepper.
5. Coat a 2 qt bakign dish with cooking spray. Spoon green bean mixture into prepared dish and sprinkle top with crispy shallots and remaining 2 Tbsp cheese. Bake until golden on top and bubbling, about 20 mins.