Penne with Vodka Cream Sauce
This is a makeover recipe that has less than half the original recipe's fat and cholesterol.
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 T. olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (one 28 oz., one 14.5 oz) diced tomatoes
- 1/4 c.vodka
- 1 pkg (12 oz) penne pasta
- 2 tsp. prepared pesto
- 1/4 c. salt
- 1/4 t. crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 T. flour
- 1/2 c. heavy whipping cream
- 1 c. whole milk
- 1/2 c. shredded Parmesan cheese
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 55mins
1. In a large saucepan, saute onion in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in tomatoes and vodka. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 30-35 minutes or until slightly thickened, stirring occasionally.
2. Meanwhile, cook penne according to package directions.
3. Stir the pesto, salt and pepper flakes into tomato mixture. In a small bowl, combine flour and cream until smooth; stir into pan. Add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until slightly thickened. Drain penne; serve with sauce. Sprinkle with cheese.