Skinny Cauliflower Mac n Cheese
Servings 6, Serving Size 274g, Calories Fat 20.2g, Carbohydrates 28.1g, Protein 16.7g, Cholesterol 127mg, Sodium 663mg, Potassium 398mg, Fiber 3.3g, Sugars 7g, WW Pts 10
- 6 ounces gluten free pasta (I used quinoa pasta)
- 1 medium head of cauliflower, cut into florets
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons gluten free flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 8 ounces organic sharp Cheddar Cheese
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 egg yolks
- 3/4 cup gluten free breadcrumbs
Adapted from mamabalance.com
1.Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 13 x 9 baking dish with olive oil.
2.Bring a pot of water to boil. Cook pasta according to package directions, adding cauliflower in the last 6 minutes of cooking. Reserve 1 cup of cooking liquid and drain.
3.Melt butter in the same pot. Whisk in flour and cook for 1 to 2 minutes, whisking constantly. Stir in reserved water, milk, garlic and cheese. Cook for 8 minutes, until sauce is thicken, whisking often. Turn heat to low and stir in cheese, onion powder, salt, pepper and cayenne. Stir until cheese melts. Remove from heat and slowly stir in egg yolks.
4.Transfer to prepared dish and sprinkle with breadcrumbs. Spray breadcrumbs with cooking spray. Bake for 30 minutes.