Whole Wheat Penne with Eggplant-Tomato Sauce
- 2 tablespoons butter cut into small pieces
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- 1 rib celery, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1 medium eggplant, peeled and diced
- 10 ounce mushrooms, chopped (optional)
- 1 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1 pound whole wheat penne
- 1/4 cup finely chopped basil leaves
Spray crock pot with cooking spray. Combine butter, onion, celery, carrot and garlic in the crock pot. Add eggplant, mushrooms and 1 teaspoon salt. Stir in tomatoes and cook on high for 4 hours. Stir occasionally.
Bring pot of salted water to a boil and cook the penne until just tender. Drain pasta and toss with sauce. Sprinkle with basil and grated parmesan if desired.