Chewy Chocolate Gingerbread Cookies
- 7 oz semi sweet chocolate
- 1 1/2 c plus 1 T all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 t ground ginger
- 1 t cinnamon
- 1/4 t ground cloves
- 1/4 t ground nutmeg
- 1 T cocoa powder
- 8 T unsalted butter
- 1 T freshly grated ginger
- 1/2 c packed dark brown sugar
- 1/4 c unsulfured molasses
- 1 t baking soda
- 1 1/2 t boiling water
- 1/4 c sugar
1. Line baking sheets w/ parchment or wax paper. In a medium bowl sift together flour, ginger, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg & cocoa.
2. Beat butter and grated ginger until whitened - about 4 minutes. Add the brown sugar and beat until combined. Add molasses and beat until combined.
3. In a small bowl dissolve baking soda in boiling water. Beat half of flour mixture into butter mixture. Beat in the baking soda mixture then remaining flour mixture. Mix in chocolate and turn out onto a piece of plastic wrap. Pat dough out to about 1" thick. Seal with plastic wrap. Refrigerate at least 2 hours.
4. Heat oven to 325 degrees. Roll dough into 1 1/2" balls and place 2" apart on baking sheets. Roll balls in sugar. Bake until surface cracks slightly - 13 to 15 minutes.