A hearty soup for a cold rainy day.
- 6 slice(s) Bacon, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 pound(s) (about 5 large) Russet Potatoes
- 3 1/2 teaspoon(s) Salt
- 1 cup(s) Sour Cream
- 1/4 pound(s) (1 stick) Butter
- 2 2/3 cup(s) Whole Milk
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) Black Pepper
- 4 Scallions, thinly sliced
- 3/4 cup(s) Shredded Sharp Cheddar Cheese
Cook the bacon pieces over medium heat in a medium skillet until crisp. Transfer bacon to paper toweling to drain and set aside. Peel, rinse, and cut the potatoes into thirds. Place them in a large pot with water to cover, add 2 teaspoons salt, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook until the potatoes are very soft -- about 45 minutes. Drain the potatoes, discarding the water, and return them to the pot. Mash them with a potato masher until smooth. Add the sour cream and butter and stir until melted. Add the milk, pepper, and remaining salt and bring the soup back to a simmer. Divide among 8 bowls and serve the soup hot, garnished with scallions, cheese, and bacon.