Cranberry Jello Salad
A Thanksgiving side-dish tradition in our family for years. The kids will especially love it, 'cause it's like having dessert during the dinner portion. Keep an eye on them or they'll sneak seconds ... and thirds ... and ...
- 1 C (10 oz) thawed frozen sweet raspberries
- Syrup from above, plus water to equal 2-1/2 C
- 2 3-oz packages raspberry gelatin
- 1 8-oz can of whole cranberry sauce (3/4 c)
- 1 Tbsp grated orange zest
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 1/2 C sugar
- 1 C undiluted evaporated milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 envelope unflavored gelatin
- 1/2 C cold water
- 1/2 C chopped walnuts (optional) (but, as usual, I don't bother with the nuts)
1. Draw raspberries, reserving syrup. Heat syrup and water to boiling. Dissolve gelatin in boiling mixture. Transfer raspberry mixture to bowl, place in refrigerator, and chill to consistency of raw egg white.
2. Remove from refrigerator and stir in raspberries, cranberry sauce, nuts (if using) and orange rind. Pour into 6-cup mold or 2-qt baking dish; chill until firm.
3. With hand mixer, beat cream cheese and sugar until smooth. Gradually beat in evaporated milk and vanilla.
4. Soften unflavored gelatin in cold water for ten minutes. Place on heat to dissolve. Blend into cream cheese mixture. Pour over cranberry mixture. Chill until firm. Serve.