Shrimp and Grits
By John W
- Andouille gravy
- 3/4 cup finely diced leeks
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon Cajun spice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons seasoning salt
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoons dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- Pinch bay seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1 cup tomato juice
- 1 cup clam juice or seafood stock
- 1/2 cup half-and-half
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup water
- 1 1/2 cups finely diced andouille sausage
- 1 pound small shrimp, shelled and deveined 41-46 count
Render the andouille in a large sauté pan
Remove sausage and add butter to pan
Cook the leeks in butter until soft.
Add the shrimp and sauté for 2-3 min
Add the andouille and spices, stirring into shrimp.
Mix in the tomato juice and clam juice and simmer for 10 minutes.
Add the half-and-half, and simmer 10 minutes.
Make a slurry with the flour and the water in a small jar. Slowly add it to the gravy mixture, stirring vigorously. Keep stirring until the mixture thickens. Remove from heat...
To serve, top each plate with some grits and spoon the shrimp and andouille gravy over the top...