Green Beans with Mushrooms and Bacon
- 2 pounds fresh green beans, trimmed
- 8 bacon slices
- 3 cups sliced shiitake mushrooms (about 7 oz.)
- 1/4 cup chopped shallots
- 1/8 to 1/4 tsp. dried crushed red pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
1. Cook beans in boiling salted water to cover in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat 4 minutes or until crisp-tender; drain. Plunge into ice water to stop the cooking process; drain and set aside.
2. Cook bacon in a large skillet over medium-low heat until crisp; remove bacon, and drain on paper towels, reserving 1 1/2 Tbsp. drippings in skillet. Discard remaining drippings. Crumble bacon.
3. Sauté mushrooms and shallots in hot drippings over medium-high heat 5 minutes or until shallots are tender. Add green beans and crushed red pepper; sauté 1 to 2 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Stir in crumbled bacon, 1/2 tsp. black pepper, and 1/4 tsp. salt.
Asparagus With Mushrooms and Bacon: Substitute 2 lb. fresh asparagus for green beans. Snap off and discard tough ends of asparagus. Cut asparagus into 1 1/2- inch pieces. Proceed with recipe as directed, cooking asparagus pieces for 2 to 4 minutes.
Sugar Snaps With Mushrooms and Bacon: Substitute 1 1/2 lb. sugar snap peas, trimmed, for green beans. Proceed with recipe as directed.
You'll also love
- Spinach Artichoke Crescent Wreath 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Inside-Out Cabbage Rolls 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Baked ham stuffed mushrooms 5/5 (1 Votes)
- French Cream of Mushroom Soup... 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Slow Cooker Turkey Chili 5/5 (1 Votes)
- PORK Jerk pork stew 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Chicken Thighs with Bacon and... 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Hoisin-Glazed Tofu & Green Beans 4.4/5 (12 Votes)