Turkey with Apple Stuffing
A classic holiday roast turkey stuffed with a savory, sweet apple stuffing flavored with thyme, sage, and raisins.
- 1 1/2 cups celery, chopped
- 3/4 cup onion, chopped
- 3/4 cup butter, cubed
- 9 cups day-old whole wheat bread, cubed
- 3 cups apples, finely chopped
- 3/4 cup raisins
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 turkey (14 to 16-pounds)
- Additional butter, melted
Preparation time 30mins
Cooking time 270mins
In a Dutch oven, sauté celery and onion in butter until tender. Remove from the heat; stir in the bread cubes, apples, raisins, salt, thyme, sage and pepper.
Just before baking, loosely stuff turkey with 4 cups stuffing. Place remaining stuffing in a greased 2-quart baking dish; refrigerate until ready to bake. Skewer turkey openings; tie drumsticks together. Place breast side up on a rack in a roasting pan. Brush with melted butter.
Bake, uncovered, at 325°F for 3 3/4 to 4 hours or until a meat thermometer reads 180°F for the turkey and 165°F for the stuffing, basting occasionally with pan drippings. (Cover loosely with foil if turkey browns too quickly.)
Bake additional stuffing, covered, for 20 to 30 minutes. Uncover; bake 10 minutes longer or until lightly browned. Cover turkey and let stand for 20 minutes before removing stuffing and carving.
If desired, thicken pan drippings for gravy.
Editor’s Note: Stuffing may be prepared as directed and baked separately in a greased 3-quart baking dish. Cover and bake at 325°F for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake 10 minutes longer or until lightly browned.
You'll also love
- Classic Green Bean Casserole 4.4/5 (7 Votes)
- Potato Gnocchi in Gorgonzola Sauce 4.4/5 (7 Votes)
- Slow- Cooker Spiced Vanilla-Pear... 4.4/5 (8 Votes)
- Sausage-Stuffed Manicotti with... 4.4/5 (7 Votes)
- Halloween Poke Cake 4.4/5 (8 Votes)
- Apple Enchilada Dessert 4.4/5 (7 Votes)
- Caramel Apple Martini 4.4/5 (7 Votes)
- Grilled Bacon-Onion Appetizers 4.4/5 (7 Votes)