Chicken and Dumplings
- 1 (3-1/2 - 4-lb.) chicken
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1-1/2 cups reserved stock from cooked chicken
- 2-1/2 cups carrots, chopped
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1-1/2 cups celery, chopped
- 2 tsp. fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 (10.75-oz.) can of cream of mushroom soup
- 1 (10.75-oz.) can of cream of chicken soup
- Reserved chicken meat from above
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose baking mix (like Bisquick)
- 2/3 cup milk
- 2 Tbsp. butter, melted
- 1 Tbsp. fresh chives, chopped
To prepare the chicken, place the bird and chicken stock into the Cook's Essentials pressure cooker (or another 4-qt. or larger pressure cooker). Cook on the highest pressure for 30 minutes.
Remove the chicken from the cooker and place it in a bowl or shallow dish so it can cool.
In the meantime, measure out 1-1/2 cups of the stock from the cooker and reserve. (You can discard the rest of the stock or freeze it for other soups or stews in the future.)
After the chicken has cooled, remove the skin and discard. Separate the meat from the bones and refrigerate until you're ready to make the stew. Discard the bones.
To prepare the stew, add all the ingredients above, except for the chicken, into the pressure cooker and cook on the highest pressure for 5 minutes.
When the cooking time has finished, remove the lid and add in the chicken. Put the pressure cooker on the ''brown'' setting and bring the stew to a simmer.
While the stew simmers, prepare the dumplings by combining the baking mix, milk, butter, and chives in a medium bowl. Do not over-mix the batter.
Use a Tbsp. to measure out the dough and drop by the spoonful into the stew; cover. Continue to cook for approximately 15 minutes, or until the dumplings are cooked though and fluffy.