Cherry Almond Bread
- 2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 4 tbsp. shortening
- 1 cup lightly-packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1/3 cup syrup from maraschino cherries
- 1/2 cup well-drained and quartered maraschino cherries
- 1/2 cup chopped almonds
- Dash of almond extract (optional)
Measure once-fifted flour and sift again with baking powder, baking soda and salt.
Cream together shortening and sugar. Beat and add egg.
Combine milk and sherry syrup. Add dry ingredients to sugar mixture alternately with milk, combining after each addition, only until smooth. Fold in cherries, nuts and flavouring, if used.
Turn into greased and floured loaf pan 9 x 5 inches. Let stand about 25 minutes, then bake at 350 deg. for about an hour.