Makeover Bacon Chicken Alfredo
- 1 package (16 ounces) whole wheat fettuccine
- 8 bacon strips, chopped
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 cups 2% milk
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
Cook fettuccine according to package directions.
Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels to drain.
Sprinkle chicken with 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper. Cook chicken and garlic in butter over medium heat for 4-6 minutes or until meat is no longer pink; remove and keep warm.
Combine cornstarch and milk until smooth; stir into skillet. Add cream and remaining salt. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
Add the spinach, chicken, 3/4 cup cheese, Italian seasoning and half of the bacon; cook and stir until cheese is melted.
Drain fettuccine; add to chicken mixture. Cook and stir until heated through. Sprinkle with remaining cheese and bacon. Yield: 8 servings.