Low Carb Dark Chocolate Mocha Cake
Recipe From George Stella's "Still Livin' Low Carb" Cookbook
- Cooking oil spray
- 5 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups almond flour
- 3 ⁄4 cup sugar substitute
- 1 ⁄4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons dry instant coffee
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 ⁄4 cup finely chopped hazelnuts, optional
- MOCHA BUTTERCREAM FROSTING
- 4 tablespoons butter, softened
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup sugar substitute
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee powder
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Preparation time 30mins
Cooking time 65mins
Adapted from pinterest.com
1. Place oven rack in the center position and preheat to 350°F. Spray an 8-inch round cake pan with cooking oil spray.
2. In a large bowl, beat eggs until frothy. Add the vanilla extract and ¼ cup of tap water to the bowl, beating to combine.
3. In another bowl, mix together the almond flour, sugar substitute, cocoa powder, instant coffee, and baking powder.
4. Beat the dry ingredient mixture into the egg mixture until all is combined.
5. Pour the finished batter into the prepared cake pan and bake 30 to 35 minutes, or until the center is firm and springy and a toothpick inserted into it comes out mostly clean.
6. Cool on a wire rack for 30 minutes before refrigerating at least 2 hours. Turn pan upside down and shake to release the cake.
7. In an electric mixer on high, whip together all Frosting ingredients until fluffy. Spread evenly across the entire surface of the cake. Sprinkle frosted cake with chopped hazelnuts, if desired.
We like to slice the cake horizontally into two layers and frost in between the layers as well.
Calories: 265|Fat: 23.5g|Protein: 9g|Fiber: 3.5g|Net Carbs: 4g
See More of my Recipes on Pinterest--->