Apple-Grilled Turkey with Cider Gravy
Apples are the perfect fruit for fall, so serve up this Apple-Grilled Turkey with Cider Gravy at Thanksgiving. Garnish the carved bird with apple slices, parsley, and sage.
- 2 cups applewood chips, divided
- 1 (12-pound) fresh or frozen turkey, thawed
- 2 cups onion, chopped (about 1 medium)
- 2 cups Granny Smith apple, chopped (about 1)
- 1 tablespoon fresh sage, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 (12-ounce) bottle hard apple cider
- 3 cups Make-Ahead Gravy
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 145mins
Soak wood chips in water 30 minutes. Drain well.
Remove and discard giblets and neck from turkey. Trim excess fat. Combine onion, apple, sage, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper in a bowl. Stuff body cavity with onion mixture. Tie legs together with kitchen string. Lift wing tips up and over back; tuck under turkey. Brush turkey with oil; sprinkle with remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and remaining 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Cover breast with foil. Place turkey in a disposable aluminum foil pan.
To prepare the turkey for indirect grilling, preheat grill, heating one side to medium and leaving one side with no heat. Maintain temperature at 350°F.
Place 1 cup wood chips on hot coals. Place pan on unheated side of grill. Cover and cook 45 minutes. Place remaining 1 cup wood chips on hot coals; cover and cook 45 minutes. Add coals as needed to maintain temperature at 350°F. Remove foil from breast; cover and cook 35 minutes or until a thermometer inserted in meaty part of thigh registers 165°F. Remove turkey from grill; let stand at least 30 minutes before carving. Discard onion mixture and skin.
Place a zip-top plastic bag inside a 2-cup glass measure. Pour drippings from pan into bag; let stand 10 minutes (fat will rise to the top). Seal bag; carefully snip off 1 bottom corner. Drain drippings into a bowl, stopping before fat layer reaches opening; discard fat.
Place cider in a large saucepan; bring to a boil. Cook until reduced to 3/4 cup (about 4 minutes). Add pan drippings and Make-Ahead Gravy; bring to a boil. Cook until reduced to 3 cups (about 5 minutes).
You'll also love
- Quiche Muffins 4.5/5 (10 Votes)
- HEALTHY FRENCH ONION TURKEY BURGER 4.6/5 (10 Votes)
- Chocolate Nutella Peanut Butter... 4.7/5 (12 Votes)
- Beef and Green Onion Stir Fry [HCG] 4.6/5 (9 Votes)
- Air Fryer Spanish Omelette 4.6/5 (9 Votes)
- Cauliflower Hummus with Olives 4.6/5 (5 Votes)
- Crustless Chocolate Raspberry... 4.3/5 (6 Votes)
- Homemade Blueberry Compound Butter 4.6/5 (5 Votes)