Chicken Marsala with Mushrooms
From 400 calories or less Easy Italian magazine
- 4 bone in chicken breast halves, skin on
- Salt & Pepper
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 3 shallots, halved and thinly sliced
- 1/2 lb. sliced, mixed mushrooms
- 1/2 cup dry Marsala wine
- 1/4 cup chicken stock
- 2 Tbsp. chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
1. Season chicken with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Spread flour on waxed paper; dredge chicken in flour on both sides, then gently shake off excess.
2. In heavy 12-inch skillet on medium-high, heat 1 Tbs. butter until it starts to lightly brown and smell fragrant, then add olive oil, swirling pan to combine. Add chicken, skin side down, and cook 3 minutes or until skin is lightly browned. Turn chicken and cook 3 minutes; remove chicken, skin side up, to plate.
3. Reduce heat to medium. Add remaining 1 Tbs. butter and shallots, and cook 2 minutes. Add mushrooms, raise heat to high, and cook until mushrooms are lightly browned and softened, 2 to 3 minutes. Add Marsala, and let it boil 30 seconds; and stock. Place chicken breasts, skin side up, on top of mixture and continue to simmer 2 to 3 minutes, or until chicken is just barely pink in thickest parts when slit with knife. Stir in parsley; season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
Each serving: 381 calories