Maple Date Bars
Topped with a crumbly cookie topping, these bars are filled with gooey, fruity goodness and make a unique dessert for school parties. Just be sure to save a few for yourself!
- 1 3/4 cups dates, pitted and finely chopped (about 12-ounces)
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (about 4 1/2-ounces)
- 1 cup regular oats
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Cooking spray
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 40mins
Combine dates, water, and maple syrup in a heavy saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a boil; cook 12 minutes or until most liquid is absorbed, stirring frequently. (Mixture will look like jam.) Stir in rind; cool completely.
Preheat oven to 400°F.
Beat sugar and butter with a mixer at medium speed until smooth. Lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Combine flour, oats, baking soda, and salt. Stir flour mixture into sugar mixture (mixture will be crumbly). Press 2 cups flour mixture into bottom of a 13 x 9-inch baking pan coated with cooking spray. Spread date mixture over flour mixture. Sprinkle with remaining flour mixture.
Bake at 400°F for 20 minutes or until golden brown. Cool completely in pan on a wire rack.
Wrap these moist bars individually, or place them in a cookie tin between layers of wax or parchment paper.
You'll also love
- Spelt Pasta and Vegetable Salad 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Sweet Potato Biscuits 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Sundried Tomato and Garlic Dip 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Banana Bread 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Cranberry Pudding 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Portuguese Stuffing 5/5 (1 Votes)
- DESSERT Date squares 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Strawberry Vanilla Breakfast... 5/5 (1 Votes)