Little Nana's Tomato Sauce
- 1 can (28 oz.) kitchen ready, crushed tomatoes
- 1 can (6 oz.) tomato paste
- olive oil
- 1 to 2 cloves garlic
- 1 to 2 cups water
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 1/2 to 1 tsp. basil
- a pinch of baking soda
- Optional: Simmer sauce with 1 lb. browned ground beef, 1 lb. pork spareribs, 1 lb. beef roast, meatballs, or 1 lb. chicken pieces.
1. Saute garlic in a little olive oil. Be careful not to burn it.
2. Add tomatoes, paste, salt, pepper, basil, water, sugar, and meat if desired. Add baking soda after it comes to a boil to cut acid of the tomatoes.
3. Simmer 2 to 3 hours, covered. Additional water may be added later to thin sauce as desired.
Recipe may be easily doubled or tripled in a large pot. Freeze in quart containers for later use.