Tuscan Sausage and Bean Soup
Servings: 0 servings
Prep. time: 15 minutes Cooking time: 3 1/2-12 hours depending on method Serves: 8-10 Nutritional Information: Servings 10; Serving Size 1 cup (268g); Calories 230; Calories from fat 35; Total fat 4g; Cholesterol 30mg; Sodium 390mg; Carbohydrate 28g; Dietary Fiber 9g.
- 12 oz. dry great northern or navy beans
- 1 16-oz. can Italian-style tomatoes, undrained (or 4 garden tomatoes, cored and chopped)
- 1 14 1/2-oz. can low sodium beef broth, plus 1 can water (or 3 1/2 Cups water mixed with 1 TB. BEEF SOUP BASE)
- 3/4 lb. turkey sausage cut into'/2-inch slices
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/3 Cup red wine
- 1/2 tsp. ITALIAN HERB MIX or TUSCAN SUNSET
- 1 clove garlic, minced (optional) or 1/4 tsp. MINCED GARLIC
- 1 10-oz. package frozen chopped spinach (or 3 cups fresh spinach, chopped)
- 1/4 Cup grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
The night before making the soup, rinse the beans. Place the beans in a bowl and cover with water (about 4 cups). Cover the container and let the beans soak over night. Check on the beans after a few hours; you may need to add more water. Place the spinach in a bowl in the refrigerator to thaw (if using frozen spinach). The next morning, drain the beans, rinse thoroughly and put in a slow coker. Add the tomat9oes, beef broth, can of water, sausage, onion, wine, ITALIAN HERB MIX or TUSCAN SUNSET and garlic. Cook, covered, on high for 6-8 hours or on low for 11-12 hours or until the beans are tender. Add the thawed spinach about 20 minutes before serving. If using fresh spinach add for the final hour. If cooking in a soup kettle instead of a slow cooker add everything except the spinach and cook on low for 3-4 hours; add spinach for the final half hour of cooking. Serve with a nice loaf of bread and sprinkle each bowl with Parmesan cheese as desired.