Beef Barley Soup
This recipe is so quick, but tastes like it cooked ALL DAY! SO rich!
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 1 t. salt
- 2 t. all-purpose flour
- 3 (14.5 oz.) cans beef broth
- 1 large potato, peeled and cubed
- 1/2 t. pepper
- 1 t. (more) salt
- 1/2 cup barley
- 1 (5 oz.) can evaporated milk
- 2 T. tomato paste
1. In a dutch oven or large soup pot, cook and stir the beef, celery, onion, carrot, and 1 t. salt until meat is no longer pink. Drain. Add back to pot. Stir in flour until blended. Gradually add broth. Stir in the potato, pepper, and another 1 t. salt. Bring to a boil. Add Barley.
2. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-45 minutes, or until barley is tender (check barley cooking time). Whisk in milk and tomato paste. Heat through.
4. If you find you need more depth of flavor, add some beef boullion cubes or granules to taste.