OREOS 'N' CREAM CAKE
- 1 3/4 cup flour
- 2/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 1/4 cups buttermilk
- 4 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups icing sugar
- 3 - 4 Tbsp milk
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3 cups crushed Oreos
1. Heat oven at 350. Coat two 8-inch round cak pans with nonstick cooking spray and dust with flour; shake out any excess flour.
2. CAKE: In medium-size bowl, mix flour, cocoa powder and salt together until well blended; set aside.
3. In a large bowl, with mixer on medium speed, beat butter, sugar and vanilla for 3 minutes or until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
4. On low speed, beat flour mixture into butter mixture in three additions, alternating with buttermilk, beginning and ending with flour; beat 1 minute. Divide batter evenly between prepared pans. Bake at 350 for about 36 minutes or until toothpick inserted in centers comes out clean. Cool cakes in pans on wire racks for 10 minutes. Turn cakes out onto racks; let cool completely.
5. FILLING: In a large bowl, with mixer on medium spead, beat cream cheese and butter until smooth. Gradually add sugar, then milk. Beat for 2 minutes or until light and fluffy.
6. When layers have cooled, trim off any crowned cake from the tops and discard. Cut each layer in half horizontally with a serrated knife. Place one cut layer on a cake stand and top with one-third of filling; spread ever over top. Repeat with 2 more cake layers. Place last layer on top, cut side down. Refrigerate for 20 minutes or until filling in set.
7. FROSTING: In a large bowl, with mixer on high, beat heavy cream, sugar and vanilla until soft peaks form. Generously spread whipped cream all over cake, using the back of a spoon to make swirls and peaks on top. Place chopped cookies in a large bowl and carefully hold cake stand over bowl. With cupped hands, gently press cookie crumbs onto the sides of the cake to cover. Brush excess crumbs off stand before serving.