Spinach Potato Pakora
Spinach Potato Pakoras are great as an appetizer, a tasty compliment for your afternoon tea and a spicy delicious snack anytime. They are made with spinach, potatoes, besan and spices and then fried till crispy golden.
- 2 large potatoes peeled and cubed in small pieces, (will make 2 cups of cubed potatoes)
- 2 cups packed spinach roughly chopped
- 2 green chilies finely chopped, adjust to taste
- 1 cup besan (gram flour, available in Indian grocery stores)
- 2 tablespoons rice flour
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper, adjust to taste
- 2 teaspoons coriander crushed (dhania)
- 1 teaspoons mango powder (amchoor, available in Indian grocery stores)
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds (jeera)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon asafetida (hing)
- Approx. 2 tablespoons of water adjust as needed
- Also need oil to fry
Adapted from manjulaskitchen.com
Combine all the dry ingredients, besan, rice flour, coriander, cumin seeds, red pepper, salt, mango powder, and asafetida in a bowl. Mix it well.
Add potatoes, spinach, and green chilies into dry mix, mix it well and add water as needed to make soft and sticky dough. When you are ready to fry pakoras mix the veggies with dry ingredients, otherwise spinach and potatoes will leave the water because of salt.
Heat at least one inch of oil in a frying pan over medium high heat. To test, put one drop of batter in the oil. The batter should come up and not change color instantly.
Place about one tablespoon of mix holding with your fingers into the oil. Do not over lap the pakoras.
Fry the pakoras in small batches; this will take three to four minutes per batch. Fry the pakoras, turning occasionally, until both sides are golden brown.
Repeat this process for the remaining batches.
The crispy, delicious pakoras are now ready to serve.
If the oil is too hot the pakoras will not be crisp; if the oil is not hot enough, the pakoras will be greasy.
You'll also love
- Low Carb Cheddar Tuna Cakes 4.5/5 (11 Votes)
- Bobby's Hot Tomato, Jack and Crab... 4.5/5 (11 Votes)
- Lemon Millet Cookies 4.3/5 (12 Votes)
- Creamy Kale, Apple Salad with... 4.5/5 (11 Votes)
- Gluten-Free Sweet Potato Souffle 4.5/5 (11 Votes)
- Zucchini and Spinach pizza 4.5/5 (11 Votes)
- California Pizza Kitchen Spinach... 3.8/5 (110 Votes)