Winter Greens Salad
Sautéed kale and treviso radicchio tossed with pickled raisins, pears and chopped hazelnuts drizzled with a little nut oil and sprinkling of salt.
- PICKLED RAISINS:
- 1 bunch treviso radicchio
- Walnut oil or another nut oil, to season
- Maldon sea salt, to season
- Sherry vinegar, to season
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small bunch kale, stems removed and torn into bite-size pieces
- 1/2 cup strained pickled raisins (recipe below)
- 2 ripe pears, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup toasted and roughly chopped hazelnuts
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 cup golden raisins
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 3 sprigs thyme, leaves picked off
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup sugar
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 15mins
Wash and thoroughly dry the treviso. In a large bowl, lightly toss with walnut oil, sea salt and a small splash of sherry vinegar.
Set a heavy, medium skillet over high heat. Slick pan with 1 tablespoon olive oil and add kale to pan. Sauté until greens just start to soften, about 30 seconds to 1 minute.
Transfer sautéed greens to bowl with treviso. Toss in pickled raisins, pears and chopped hazelnuts. Drizzle extra nut oil over top and sprinkle with salt.
Toast the mustard seeds in a small pan until they pop. Add the water and then all of the other ingredients. Simmer on low until syrupy, about 10 minutes. Either use right away or let cool and store in refrigerator.