Vegan Nacho "cheese" sauce
One difficulty vegans have is giving up cheese. This vegan "cheese" sauce is certainly not cheese but if you open your mind tastes great and is much better for you. It is pictured here over steamed cauliflower.
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 cup raw cashews
- One 4 oz. jar pimentos, drained
- 1 cup nutritional yeast flakes
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin, heaping
Adapted from foodbuzz.com
Combine all ingredients except pimentos, and blend until completely smooth. Transfer mixture to a medium saucepan and whisk constantly over medium heat. When it starts to thicken add chopped pimentos and continue wisking until thickened to desired consistency, about 5 to 6 minutes.